Monday, December 14, 2009

Quick Essay for Class-written in 30 minutes

Melissa Medina
December 14, 2009
Dance 135- MW 7-8:20
Int/Adv Jazz/Contemporary


Progression as a Dancer through Fall Semester


You are never too old to dance just like you can never be too wise to stop learning. I started dancing at the age of 7 and have since vowed never to stop so as long as I could move. It did not matter the type of dance, the frequency, or where I did it as long as I still made the time to afford myself the outlet. This passion led to my decision to be a part of the dance classes and dance companies offered at Mesa College, a means I am truly appreciative of.
A week prior to the beginning of the Fall Semester, I made one of the hardest choices in what could be deemed as my “amateur dancing career”. I decided to resign from my competitive hip hop dance team, 220, that I had been a part of for going on 6 years. Prior to this, having graduated from SDSU in 2008, I allowed myself time to relax, dance all I wanted, enjoyed the fruits of my academic labor, and bought some time to figure out my life’s goals. Unfortunately once a year had passed and I still found myself in the same situation as prior I knew I had to make changes. Being on 220 was a commitment that, at the time, I felt was not conducive to my schedule. It was hard to let go of what was a big part of my life and my only means of performance expression. Luckily for me, I decided to go back to my roots of jazz dance and this was heavily supported by Mesa’s schedule allowing me such a privilege.
Coming back to jazz from such a strong hip hop background (which was challenging to break into from a strong jazz foundation) was definitely not going to be easy. Here in the midst of limber and technically adept dancers fresh faced from high school, I sat there on day one trying to will my body to do the splits and point my toes. Throughout college I took dance class whenever I had the time and money which kept me refreshed with techniques and terms. Nonetheless, having aged a little and getting used to a post “freshman 15 and then some” body I knew my ability was not the same as it had been in my prime. It was becoming a little discouraging to hear joints crack and muscles pulled every time I stretched, on top of remembering to be graceful and control my movements.
Despite these challenges I never forgot my love and confidence for performance. One thing I learned about dancing with my hip hop team was the purpose of doing something you love. You do it for yourself and you do it for the people around you. This message was definitely reinforced in my jazz class and my experience in the Fall Dance Show. Getting comfortable in my jazz shoes and taking the chance at auditioning for the show was something I definitely looked forward to. I had friends who had participated in previous years and I attended the show Spring of 2009. It felt so good to be able to be back on stage playing the character that dance allows you to do. I definitely enjoyed making new friends, overcoming egos and overlooking differences to put together a great performance. It was also nice for my parents to come and watch me perform in this kind of capacity which was something they had not been able to do for years since hip hop was a whole different realm.
The influence of choreographers around me, the raw and amazing talent of 220, Donna Flournoy, and my peers in my dance class has definitely inspired me to strive for more. I have to try hard to keep up to the ever evolving contemporary styles and tricks choreographers are coming up with now a day. It is definitely quite the feat but with guidance and support it’s been much easier. Hopefully I can continue to challenge myself by taking more leadership roles and personal outlets of artistic expression through my own choreography. I have definitely realized that despite your ability and your age you can always, always dance to and for what you love which is all that matters.

No comments: