Monday, April 5, 2010

Mover and Shaker

It is really fortunate and unusual to realize that after a 7.2 magnitude quake, San Diego got by nearly unscathed.. however less than 100 miles south of us, buildings collapsed and people died. It's a wonder what resources and technology has done to make American lives much more lucky and more safe. 7.2 is 0.2 harder on the Richter scale than the Haiti earthquake a few months ago.. which obviously caused much more devastation.

I was definitely frightened during yesterday's 45 second tremor but nonetheless have realized today how fortunate I am. Granted I'm still afraid one will hit while I'm at work here in La Jolla (and we get dislodged from the rest of California and fall into the sea), or while crossing the 805 span over the 8 freeway and Mission Valley.. or who knows what else..

Anyway, after 25 years of living in San Diego, yesterday's shaker was a good one.. especially for all you SoCal newbies! Congrats!

No comments: